Ever since my favourite gluten free bread brand started adding eggs into their recipe I’ve been thinking about making my own. I’ve been wanting to create something with my favourite flours. This vegan gluten free bread recipe uses buckwheat, millet, chickpea and coconut flour to achieve an airy, flavoursome bread.
The one thing you need to know is that the mixture is not really breaddy, it’s more of a thick cake batter. In my fan oven the bread took 40 minutes and it rose quite a bit.
What I will do better next time? I’ll leave it to sit overnight (to completely cool) so that the bread cools and binds properly. I ate it pretty much out of the oven and it broke in places but it was oh so tasty. Best combination – Nutelex and sour cherry jam – so so good!
- Calories: 259
- Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 48
- Protein: 10
- 120 g chickpea (besan) flour
- 140 g buckwheat flour
- 60 g millet flour
- 80 g coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Xanthan gum
- 2 cups rice milk
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp The Vegg
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Add the chickpea flour, buckwheat flour, millet, coconut, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add The Vegg and water into a blender and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add Xanthan gum and rice milk to the liquid Vegg mix in the blender and mix it all together.
- Stir the vinegar through the wet ingredients.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Transfer ‘dough’ to an oiled lof pan.
- Bake at 180 degrees for about 35 minutes. After 35 minutes check the bread by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If the toothpick isn’t clean the bread needs to bake for a little bit longer.