Is anyone else over winter too? I miss long summer days, endless afternoons in the sun and fresh salads for pretty much every meal. Today was especially cold and I thought it would be lovely to have salad for dinner – who knows maybe summer hurries up…
I knew I wanted to use chickpeas as a base (they are so nice and creamy), and I bought some lovely mushrooms on the way home from work. I took a look inside the fridge and pantry and I came up with a list of things to add. Walnuts, baby cos lettuce, carrots, brown rice, coriander, sesame oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and pink himalayan salt – so much yum!!
In our house we love salads quite zingy so add the lemon juice and vinegar according to taste. This chickpea salad recipe makes 4 generous portions.
- 375 g mushrooms
- 220 g carrots
- 200 g broccoli
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 150 g cooked brown rice
- 150 g baby cos lettuce
- 50 g walnuts
- 1 tsp olive oil (for sautéing mushrooms)
- ½ bunch coriander
- 4 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 6 tsp lemon juice (add a little at a time, to taste)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Peel & chop mushrooms then sauté in olive oil, let them cool.
- Wash and chop broccoli, steam them above a pot of boiling water. Let them cool.
- Wash, peel and julienne the carrots.
- Drain and wash chickpeas.
- Wash the cos lettuce and cut or break into small pieces.
- Wash and chop the coriander.
- Add all ingredients to a big bowl, add the cooked rice.
- Create the dressing by mixing dressing ingredients together (I use a jar with a lid).
- Add dressing to the salad and serve immediately.