If you’re in the mood for entertaining this is a fabulous option – crumbed portobello mushrooms vegan gluten free and uber delicious.
These tasty little morsels do shrink when baked so make sure you slice the mushrooms at about 1 cm thick. Once the moisture is gone there isn’t much left and I find that this thickness is perfect.
The crumbing part of this recipe is a bit messy but if you can’t get messy from time to time then what’s the point.
When baking, keep an eye on the colour of the mushrooms and once they’re cooked let them sit for a little bit so that they are easier to remove without losing the crumb.
Serve with a dipping sauce, wine and great company.
- 300 g Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp The Vegg
- 1 cup water
- rice crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Peel mushrooms and slice into long slices about 1 cm wide.
- Mix The Vegg and water in a blender, then place in a bowl.
- Combine rice crumbs, herbs and salt / pepper in a bowl.
- Coat each mushroom slice in The Vegg and then drop it into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place all slices into a greased oven tray and drizzle with remaining oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are browned and crunchy.