I’m always looking for guilt free vegan gluten free snacks that I can enjoy; snacks that are clean, low in fat and have some protein as well. I seldom find these ready to buy so I decided to start making my own. I have a love affair with quinoa – seeds, flakes, you name it – so it was the first ingredient on my list. These vegan gluten free quinoa cookies are easy and delicious!
I buy Macro organic quinoa flakes at Woolworths and I have them everyday as porridge. Sometimes I grind them in my spice-and-flour coffee grinder to make quinoa flour when I don’t have any flour handy. I used them in the base of this cookie with dates for sweetness and a dash of the new Body Science vegan protein powder that Woolworths have started stocking. This protein powder has been my go-to powder lately, it’s lovely and sweet without being overpowering.
Back to the cookies – the recipe is super easy. Just add everything into a bowl then mix and create balls with your hands. I placed the balls on the tray then flattened them with my hand until they were roundish. Close enough! My oven is very fast so mine only took 10 minutes but yours might take 15 minutes so just check at the 10 minute mark to be on the safe side.
- Serves: 15
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 144
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Protein: 3
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (I buy Macro from Woolworths)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup coconut oil, in liquid form
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tsp organic vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 scoop Body Science vegan protein powder (I used chocolate flavour, from Woolworths)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup water
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Make 15 balls, and place them on a non-stick cookie tray, then flatten them with your hands to form a flat circular shape.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (check after 10 minutes).
- Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack.
- Eat straight away or store for a few days.