This is a very easy vegan gluten free crepe recipe using only a few ingredients. Chickpea flour, water, oil, salt and a dash of arrowroot. I add the arrowroot so that I can make a thinner crepe, otherwise you will get a thicker crepe that is basically socca.
Farinata, socca, torta di ceci or cecina is a thin chickpea flour crepe and is a typical food of the Ligurian Sea coast, from Nice to Pisa. They serve it with olive oil, salt and pepper but I do mine even thinner and fill them with jam. You can also fill them with vegan nutella, freshfruit, a delicious savoury filling or do the classic lemon and sugar combo.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot (tapioca) flour
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Jam of your choice to fill the crepes with
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix on high.
- Lightly oil a pan and heat.
- Pour the crepe batter into the pan (1 ladle).
- Turn the crepe when you see the liquid is firm.
- Flip and cook for a minute or so.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Make sure you stack the crepes on a plate, and keep stacking until the last one is done. This ensures the steam will keep them all warm.Then flip the stack before you fill them.