When I was vego I loved French Toast (or pofezne as we call them in Croatia). What’s not to love – bread, fat and sugar. Mmmmmmmm. Now that I am vegan I thought this was a meal I would have to say farewell to forever. It wasn’t until I discovered The Vegg that I realised there may be a way…..
What on earth is The Vegg? It’s a vegan egg yolk that you can buy from vegan stores in Australia an around the world. I use it in a few recipes on this blog because it helps bind and flavour dishes similar to a regular egg. I buy mine from Vegan Online shop and one packet lasts me a while.
I had some lovely friends staying with us recently and I made them french toast for brekkie. I didn’t have gluten free bread (and my guests didn’t mind) so this recipe is with gluten bread but you can easily use whatever you like.
Serve with lashings of maple syrup and fresh peaches for a wonderful summery breakfast.I hope you enjoy my vegan french toast recipe!
- ½ French stick or a few slices of bread
- 2 tbsp The Vegg (vegan egg yolk)
- 1 cup soy milk
- olive or coconut oil for the pan
- maple syrup and peaches (optional)
- In a blender add soy milk and The Vegg, and bkend until you get a yolk consistency, add salt
- Slice the bread and dip into vegan egg yolk
- Heat the oil and cook each slice until golden brown
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh peaches